Saint Mary Byzantine Catholic Church of the Assumption Monessen, PA

Contact Details

  • Rectory:

    (724) 379-9751 (Donora parish)
    Pastor: Reverend Stephen J. Wahal
    Deacon: Deacon John M. Hanchin PhD

Address

Saint Mary Byzantine Catholic Church of the Assumption

125 McKee Avenue

Monessen, PA. 15062 Get Directions
[res_map key=”AIzaSyCH4oxsy23_CSxDuCoDPxvDgaxk03sVld8″ address=”125 McKee Avenue, Monessen PA, 15062” description=”Saint Mary Byzantine Catholic Church of the Assumption {br} 125 McKee Avenue, {br} Monessen PA,15062” directionstext=”Directions” icon=”red” style=”1″ pancontrol=”yes” scalecontrol=”yes” typecontrol=”yes” streetcontrol=”no” zoom=”11″ zoomcontrol=”yes” draggable=”yes” scrollwheel=”yes” searchbox=”no” clustering=”no” logging=”no” poi=”yes” width=”100%” height=”400px” maptype=”roadmap” popup=”yes” center=”” refresh=”no” publisherid=”” adbg=”#ffffff” key=’AIzaSyCH4oxsy23_CSxDuCoDPxvDgaxk03sVld8′]

History

St. Mary Byzantine Catholic Church of the Assumption had its inception in 1902, under the leadership of Father Eugene Homicko. Early worship was held in the First National Bank building and also in St. Leonard Roman Catholic Church. A small wooden structure, built in 1903, was replaced by a larger brick building in 1905. “The church with the town clock” was a well-known landmark in the city, but after half a century, it became necessary to either repair it completely or construct a new edifice.

This responsibility fell on the shoulders of Father Andrew Parvensky. A new church of crab-orchard stone soon was constructed on the same site. Demolition of the old church and groundbreaking for the new one took place in 1958. The new church was dedicated on October 23, 1960. The rectory was built five years later.

By 1973 many additional improvements were made. The property was debt-free thanks to the generous donations of parishioners. A Chapel of Our Lady of Perpetual Help was added to the front of the church in 1982. In the late 1980s, a unique icon screen of pure gold and mosaic – the first of its kind built since the seventh century – was installed in the church. The intricate hammered bronze and mosaic images were perfected by craftsmen in Venice and Milan, Italy.

Affiliated with the church is a cemetery in Rostraver Township. It contains a 24-foot Crucifixion scene that overlooks Interstate 70.