112 St. Mary's WayBradenville, PA. 15620-1017 Get Directions
The parish of St. Mary had its beginning in 1902 when approximately 30 families purchased a piece of property for $350. These founding families immediately began the construction of a frame church building which was dedicated in May 1903. The rectory was completed in 1905, and the first pastor was Father Nicholas Szcetovich.
Fire destroyed the original frame church in 1910. Once again, their love of God and love of the Byzantine Catholic traditions rallied the people together. Families sacrificed and they proudly dedicated their new church – a red brick structure – in 1912.
On February 15, 1948, nationwide history was made when the first Byzantine Catholic quadruplets in the United States were born to St. Mary parishioners Andrew and Barbara Zavada – 3 identical girls, Anna-Mary, Bernadette, and Barbara, and 1 boy, John Michael.
The 1950s and 60s saw the birth and rebirth of parish organizations and activities, the remodeling and improvement of the church property, the clean-up and improvement of the cemetery, and the purchase of new parcels of property.
In 1966, St. Mary’s Dome @ the center of religious, social, educational and recreational activities – was dedicated. Since that time, the Dome has met the needs of the parish and is considered an architectural showpiece in the surrounding area.
A new rectory was built in 1984 and contains a chapel where daily Liturgies are celebrated. In 1992, the interior and exterior of the church building were renovated, and a new bell tower was added.