- Church: (814) 968-5478
Pastor: Very Reverend David A. Bosnich
407 School StreetSheffield, PA. 16347-0471 Get Directions
St. Michael the Archangel Byzantine Catholic Church was founded in 1905; construction for the new church began the same year. When it was dedicated on October 7, 1906 the parishioners walked around the building, kissing the walls and shedding tears of joy. The first pastor, Father Sylvester Lupish, was appointed on October 17, 1907.
As the size of the congregation grew, the church was enlarged in 1914. Later, an icon screen and three church bells were installed in 1919.
The first Greek Catholic Day was observed in September 1940, with distinguished guest Bishop Lotocky of Jersey City present. An estimated 1500 persons attended the event which included a picnic dinner. The 50-voice church choir provided responses for the Divine Liturgy and presented a choral program at the picnic.
In 1948, the church was redecorated and on June 6 was rededicated.
During the period of 1959 to 1973 St. Michael’s Pavilion was built for social activities, a new icon screen and ceiling lights were installed in the church, and new offices were added to the rectory.
Improvements continued from 1973 to 1998. A parking lot was built and roads were paved in the cemetery. Church exterior renovations included masonry pointing and a new roof. Classrooms for religious education were built in the church basement, and the church interior was painted. Interior and exterior renovations were made to the rectory. A Veterans’ Memorial was built at the cemetery and was dedicated on the feast of St. Michael in 1993. Seven acres from the cemetery were donated to the Sheffield Cemetery Association and timber was sold from the church property. Parish life also was enhanced with the establishment of a Parish Council and Cemetery Association.