225 Olivia StreetMcKees Rocks, PA. 15136 Get Directions
On April 12, 1907 the faithful filed a petition with Bishop Regis Canevin, the Roman Catholic Bishop of Pittsburgh, for permission to establish a parish. Upon approval they decided to purchase eight lots on which the church and rectory are presently located. In order to raise the needed amount, each parish member was assessed to provide the down payment. All the parish needed now was a priest of their own.
Divine Services were held in an old dance hall that was on the property when it was purchased. The parishioners received their first priests, who unfortunately did not stay long as there was no rectory for the priest and his family. In 1908 the parish completed a rectory, and in 1913 the building of the church began. The parish flourished under the leadership of capable pastors well into the 1950s.
For the next two decades, a parish school, built in 1958, was successfully administered by the Sisters of Christ the Teacher. However, with the shift in the parish population in the late 60s and early 70s, the school eventually closed. In 1961 a new rectory was dedicated, and the old rectory became the convent.
Despite the migration of parishioners out of the “Bottoms,” the parish continued to be a hub of activity. The church was completely renovated beginning in the fall of 1982. This extensive project included the complete redecoration of the sanctuary according to the Byzantine tradition. The icon screen was brought piece by piece from Greece, and icons were written on the walls of the church. During this renovation, an elevator also was installed to assist elderly parishioners. By Pentecost of 1983, the entire church was completed and the radio apostolate was undertaken, bringing the Divine Liturgy into countless homes each Sunday.
More renovations occurred just prior to 2007 in anticipation of the church’s 100th anniversary. Beautiful crystal chandeliers imported from Europe were hung; new iconography was added to the walls; an additional tier was added to the iconostasis; pews were refurbished and new flooring was installed. The social hall/school building and parking lot also saw significant facelifts.
Today the parish is as active and busy as ever with its landmark “Pirohy Project,” the Slavjane Folk Ensemble, ECF (Eastern Christian Formation) program, Youth Group, GCU Lodge and Holy Ghost Golden Agers. Sunday’s 9:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy, broadcast live over WEDO 810-AM radio, brings the parish community prayer into the homes of those physically unable to attend services. The addition of digital video cameras in the church also has enabled live streaming of services over the Internet 24/7.
The future of Holy Ghost Church promises to be filled with the blessings of God. The witness of this parish shows truly, God is with us!