Saint Basil the Great Byzantine Catholic Church Irving, TX

Contact Details

Address

Saint Basil the Great Byzantine Catholic Church

1118 E. Union Bower Road

Irving, TX. 75061 Get Directions
[res_map key=”AIzaSyCH4oxsy23_CSxDuCoDPxvDgaxk03sVld8″ address=”1118 E. Union Bower Road, Irving TX, 75061” description=”Saint Basil the Great Byzantine Catholic Church {br} 1118 E. Union Bower Road, {br} Irving TX,75061” directionstext=”Directions” icon=”red” style=”1″ pancontrol=”yes” scalecontrol=”yes” typecontrol=”yes” streetcontrol=”no” zoom=”11″ zoomcontrol=”yes” draggable=”yes” scrollwheel=”yes” searchbox=”no” clustering=”no” logging=”no” poi=”yes” width=”100%” height=”400px” maptype=”roadmap” popup=”yes” center=”” refresh=”no” publisherid=”” adbg=”#ffffff” key=’AIzaSyCH4oxsy23_CSxDuCoDPxvDgaxk03sVld8′]

History

The Byzantine Catholic community of Dallas was begun as a mission in 1982 and was served by St. John Chrysostom Church in Houston. Divine Liturgies were celebrated weekly either at the University of Dallas or Holy Trinity Seminary. A handful of people at this mission decided there was a future for a church in the Metroplex, and they courageously moved forward. After a long search, they purchased two acres of land with a four-bedroom house near Irving, since it was central to the Dallas area and very accessible. A mission statement was composed as a result of the common vision shared by these dedicated individuals. On March 27, 1988 the mission was declared a parish. Father Robert Karl, pastor of the Houston parish, was designated the first pastor-administrator of St. Basil the Great Church.

The small group of parishioners committed themselves to tithing and building up the parish with their time, talents, and treasures. They worked diligently to prepare the residence which had been in a state of great disrepair. An old game room and garage were turned into a chapel with altar, icon screen, and space for about 60 people. The new pastor took residence on Palm Sunday, March 27, 1988. Holy Week services and Pascha were celebrated with real spirit; the new parish was on its way. On October 9, 1988 Bishop John Bilock was present for the church dedication, along with the Roman Catholic Bishop of Dallas. The crowd was overflowing and a festive dinner was held outdoors.

The congregation grew rapidly and the chapel became crowded. Building a new church was out of the question financially. After several meetings and various proposals, the community decided that the most prudent step would be to add a simple extension to the present chapel. In the spring and summer of 1989 the existing swimming pool was turned into a floor for the new church and a roof was constructed over it. The new church was rededicated on November 19, 1989, and once again a reception was held outside with honored guests.

In 1993 the iconography was completed, creating a beautiful church interior. The parish continues to grow.