Deacon: Deacon Sean Petrisko
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/PeterPaulDuquesne
701 Foster AvenueDuquesne, PA. 15110 Get Directions
SS. Peter and Paul Church had its origin from the former St. Nicholas Church in Duquesne. The first Byzantine Catholic church in Western Pennsylvania, it was founded and erected in 1890. In 1904 a number of people began to plan for a new congregation, and SS. Peter and Paul received its own charter on July 10, 1909. The church was dedicated on November 12, 1916.
Although a new church edifice was built at First and Viola Streets, it soon became apparent that its size was inadequate. The financial crash of 1929 and the subsequent Great Depression placed plans for a larger church on hold until 1954 when the present site of the church property was purchased.
Ground-breaking for the present church took place on the feast of SS. Peter and Paul, June 29, 1958. The cornerstone was laid and blessed November 29, 1959 by Bishop Nicholas T. Elko, with over 1,000 faithful and many area priests in attendance. Work, however, was not completed. Much more had to be done to finalize the interior furnishings, altar, pews, windows and other liturgical appointments. Facilities included a church hall, classrooms for religious instructioand a fully-equipped kitchen.
Blessing of the completely decorated church took place on July 26, 1964 when Bishop Nicholas T. Elko and many priests joined a standing-room-only assembly of faithful to celebrate the completion of their efforts. In two short years, the parishioners took great delight in witnessing the burning of the church mortgage.
SS. Peter and Paul parish community continues to worship in the tradition of their founders.