Infant Jesus of Prague Byzantine Catholic Church

Originally dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul,·Infant Jesus of Prague Church began in 1907 when a group of Struthers, Ohio residents purchased property there for a future church at 111 Frank Street.· These Byzantine Catholics attended St. Mary Church and … Continue reading

Saint Michael Byzantine Catholic Church

In the early 1900s, a great influx of Carpatho-Rusyn immigrants settled in Campbell, known then as East Youngstown. Their desire to form a Church of the Byzantine Catholic Rite began as early as 1918 when a group of 43 families … Continue reading

Saint John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church

The Byzantine Catholic community of St. John the Baptist traces its roots to the immigrant-filled days at the turn of the 20th century. The expanding steel-making facilities and coal fields in and around Mingo Junction attracted many Rusyn people. They … Continue reading

Saint Michael Byzantine Catholic Church

St. Michael the Archangel Byzantine Catholic Church in Pleasant City, Ohio was organized on June 24, 1898 to serve the Byzantine Catholic Slovaks, Hungarians and Rusyns who had emigrated from Eastern Europe. They came to this area and settled in … Continue reading

Saint Joseph Byzantine Catholic Church

At its inception, St. Joseph Church was composed primarily of Rusyn immigrants. Their desire to have their own church in their newly adopted country was realized with plans initiated by St. Joseph Lodge No. 194 of the Greek Catholic Union. … Continue reading

Saints Peter and Paul Byzantine Catholic Church

In October of 1935, Father John Stim was appointed pastor of SS. Peter and Paul Church. From the day of its founding until Father Stim was appointed, priests from Youngstown celebrated the Divine Services. During Father Stim’s 10-year pastorate, the … Continue reading

Saint Mary Byzantine Catholic Church

In the late 19th century, when many people immigrated to America from the then Austro-Hungarian Empire, some came to settle in the Steelton section (west side) of Youngstown. In search of a better life, they sought employment in the local … Continue reading

Saint Nicholas Byzantine Catholic Church

For Byzantine Catholics in the eastern suburbs of Youngstown, the only church was clear across town. St Mary’s in Steelton (west side) had been in existence for over ten years, and the idea of a new parish in Haselton (an … Continue reading