Seminary’s 23rd annual Lecture set for May 10
The Byzantine Catholic Seminary in Pittsburgh, Pa. is pleased to announce its 23rd annual academic lecture to be delivered by Father John Baldovin, S.J. at 7 p.m. May 10.
This livestreamed lecture, entitled “Making the City a Church: Liturgical Processions in Constantinople from the Sixth to the Tenth Centuries,” is to study the mobile character of ancient Constantinopolitan Christian worship and the processions of Byzantine stational liturgy. This will shed light on the liturgy itself, popular piety, and the relation of liturgy to the surrounding culture.
All are welcome to attend this lecture virtually on Wednesday, May 10 at 7 p.m. via the Seminary website (www.bcs.edu).
The lecture can also be accessed live or at a later time from archives on the B.C.S. YouTube channel.
Father John F. Baldovin is Professor of Historical and Liturgical Theology at the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry. He is a priest of the USA-East Province of the Society of Jesus. He received his BA from the College of the Holy Cross, an MDiv from Weston School of Theology, and MA, MPhil, and PhD from Yale University.
Father Baldovin served on the advisory committee for the Bishops’ Committee on the Liturgy of the U.S.C.C.B. (1989-1993). He is past president of the North American Academy of Liturgy as well as the international ecumenical Societas Liturgica. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the journal, Theological Studies, with his fields of expertise being history and theology of the liturgy, sacramental theology, and the theology of ministry. Among his numerous publications is The Urban Character of Christian Worship: The Origins, Development and Meaning of Stational Liturgy (Pontifical Institute of Oriental Studies, 1987).
Founded in 1950, the Byzantine Catholic Seminary is a free-standing, English speaking theological seminary. The Seminary is authorized to grant the Master of Arts in Theology and Master of Divinity degrees by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and is accredited by the Association of Theological Schools.